Sunday, April 25, 2010

Seared Scallops with homemade XO sauce and tempura style onion nest.




I adore Scallops, and this is one of my favorite dishes to both eat and make.

For me the best dishes are the one's that allow the ingredients to speak for themselves.
So many young cooks tend to over do a dish with 10/15 plus ingredients. The result is a complicated muddle of flavors.

For best results, use good, fresh, seasonal, local (whenever possible) ingredients and let the food speak for itself. Three or four ingredients are better than ten, fifteen.

There is nothing wrong with simplicity. This Scallop dish looks complicated, however there are only 4 main ingredients on the plate.

The homemade XO sauce is a secret I will never give up. Originally created in Hong Kong & usually associated with Cantonese cuisine, a good quality pre-made version can be found in most Asian/Chinese food stores.

Hint: My version is made from finely chopped dry Scallops, Shrimp & Crab Plus my secret finishing ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Currently reading

  • The girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Steig Larsson

About Me

My photo
Los Angeles, CA, United States
Executive Chef and Culinary Arts instructor. Trained in Europe. Worked in London, Dublin, Boston, NY & L.A. Among the dozens of Rock Stars, Actors, Politicians, Heads of State & Business I have cooked for, Julia Child was the most memorable.